Thursday, July 26, 2012

Canada Speak

Yeah, yeah.  I'm a terrible blogger.  Let's face it, I never expect to make money at it.  I use Facebook to update friends and family on some things.  The funny thing is, I often compose blogs in my head.  I just never actually do it online.

Since we leave next week for a few weeks in Portland, I figured this was a good time to update the blog.  I had planned to do it on our one-year anniversary here in Calgary, but that didn't happen.  Better late than never.

We've been busy this July, mostly due to Jared's participation in the Calgary Round-Up Band.  It's a band that was started by the police service, then went parent-run in the 70's, I think.  While are linked with the Stampede Showband, they aren't "officially" part of the Calgary Stampede, but they do a lot of performances at and related to the Stampede.  I mean A LOT!

If you're not familiar with the Stampede, it's sort of a combination of the Portland Rose Festival and a Rodeo, with a bit of a State Fair thrown in.  No chickens and goats and 4-H stuff, but demonstrations, midway rides, other shows and such.  It's a ten-day long festival that sort of takes over the town.  Others will say it's an excuse to be drunk for ten days, but that wasn't our area of expertise.  For more info on the Stampede, go here: http://www.calgarystampede.com/.

Oh yeah, it was also the 100 year anniversary this year, so a bit of a big deal.


For us, it was ten days (plus the week to ten days before had) of driving Jared to various locations to rehearse and/or get on a bus to perform at pancake breakfasts, World Association of Marching Show Bands international competitions, on the the Stampede grounds, and other various adventures.  It was a busy time, but I think he really enjoyed it.  He's currently on a ten-day trip to Wyoming, where he's marching in parades, doing field shows (the biggest difference between "marching" bands up here and in the States), and having some bonding time, educational time, and yes, fun time.  Water parks, adventure courses and an outdoor play are just some of the fun times.  They wrap up tomorrow with a special tour of Yellowstone Park, then it's hit the road for the long bus drive home to Calgary.  All the fun photos are here: http://www.crubtour2012.blogspot.ca/, although Jared doesn't appear in a lot.  But I'm sure he's having fun.  If you see a stuffed Mario from Mario Bros. keep popping up, it's because their field show theme was "Video Games," featuring various video games themes, and Bowser, who I guess is from the Mario game?

Saying goodbye.

Sky Ride at Garden of the Gods (I think)
It's been strange having just one child at home, and it's been a bit hard to do much, but Rebecca's been having play dates and sleepovers, so it's going well. Next year we'll be more prepared for July.


Speaking of next year, many of you have asked what our plans are, and I have to say, I'm not sure! The assignment technically ends March 31, 2013. I plan to be here through at least the end of July, as I don't want to move during the school year again, and Jared has had such a fantastic opportunity with CRUB, I want him to finish the year with them, which goes through the end of July.

Dennis will be talking with his boss when we are in Portland in August, and our plan is really to stay in Calgary. Whether that means a full transfer, a year-by-year extension of the assignment or what, I don't know. Some also depends on future options for Dennis. Calgary has been a good fit, I think, although budget issues have made his job a bit stressful, as the company hasn't authorize hiring additional staff. That changes in October, so that will help. His travel has been pretty much nothing lately, and when that changes, it will be only within Canada, which will be nice. Once we know more what's going on, we'll let everyone know. However, there are only two options: staying in Calgary and moving back to Portland. So those of you who got California in your heads. No, no, and did I mention, no?! We went to California for spring break, but moving there is not on the table. :)


The title of this post is "Canada Speak," so you're probably wondering what that's all about, eh?  :)  I figured I couldn't re-start my blogging with out updating our year so far, so that's why this got pushed down a ways.

When we told the kids we were moving to Calgary, one of Rebecca’s first questions was “Will we have to learn a new language?”  I told her no, but they do use some different words for things, like zed for z.  While I have not managed to say “A to Zed,” I have picked up a few Canadian-isms, so I figured I should list a few so friends and family can understand me when we visit.  There are also a few spelling differences that I may use; many of these are carryovers from French, Canada’s second official language.  Thanks, Quebec…


Speaking

Gas bar=gas station.  No idea why it’s called a bar, it just is.

Parkade=parking garage

Elastic=rubber band.  Rebecca wears one with her braces now. 

Till=cash register/check out in a store.  I never thought I’d use this one, but I’ve caught myself several times.

Grade Five (or any other number)=5th grade.  Again, no idea why the difference other than a French connection.

Washroom=restroom

Loonies=one dollar coin

Toonies=two dollar coin.  I really miss dollar bills, but I’m getting better at making change at school functions; it was a learning curve at first.

Spelling

Cheque=check, in the financial sense

Centre/metre/litre/theatre=center/meter/liter/theater.  Other than centre, I think I’ve always spelled the others this way.  Centre seems to be used for both “University Centre” and “the centre of town,” which I personally just don’t get.

I sometimes have soft a’s and o’s, but I still don’t say “eh” or “oot and aboot.”  People do say “eh,” but not much; and I think “oo” is more East Coast, but I’m not sure.  Haven’t heard it hear, though.  I have caught myself saying “progress” and “process” with a long “o,” like in “pro.”  Makes more sense, although I was reluctant at first.  I’ve heard newscasters say it both ways, which is always confusing.  I still say “ki lom etre” as opposed to “kill o metre”, and “Newfundlund”, not “New found land.”

Commercials make me a bit crazy, especially car commercials.  Mazda and Nissan both pronounce the a like in apple.  Granted, that makes a lot more sense, too, but it’s not how I learned, so it sounds weird.  But I wonder if learning to read is a bit easier up here, since there don’t seem to be as many different ways to pronounce some letters.

I’m sure there are some more “language” differences, but of course I can’t think of them now.  I’ll try to remember to write them down and add to a future post.

I'll also see if I can do a better job at posting, at least once we're back from Portland.  I've been toying with a "What to Know if Your Company Transfers You to Canada" blog, detailing some of our "experiences" moving here. 


And since the local paper makes me crazy when their stories just end, I have to write something at the end of this: Thanks for following "The Great Dolan Adventure," and hope to see many of you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment